Wednesday 19 May 2010

Stay or go?!

Make up can get expensive but I have recently discovered the world of swapping and think that maybe I would like to give it a go.
So I have been going through my collection to try and find something to swap but it is very, very hard. There seems to be a 'Just In Case' (aka JIC syndrome) scenario for every product.

I think the closest I've come to finding something is Blackberry, a matte eyeshadow from MAC. I remember when I brought this item from MAC- it was part of my first MAC haul- I was so excited but to be honest, I don't think that I have used it since that first week and I'm not sure why.
According to macmakeup.net, a matte eyeshadow is meant to be intense with true colour payoff and, obviously as a matte, it has no shine or shimmer.
Therefore I can see why my MAC artist and many reviewers suggest using it as a contour and an outer lid colour. I brought it to combine with Shale (a satin) as recommended by the MAC artist -I have swatched the two above- This also seems a popular combo on Make Up Alley so why have I not used it again?!
I'm not sure.
I think that I felt Blackberry was hard to build up and my eyes had less impact then I initially hoped. These two colours were meant to create my night look but once on my lids, didn't seem to quite reach par. I think I was comparing the combination to a Purple Smoky Eye that Nic of PixiWoo did on You Tube. My Blackberry/Shale combo sadly was nowhere near as striking.
So maybe Blackberry should go!!!
Yet, I still have a bout of JIC syndrome. Surely there is a way that I could work this shadow. Currently 77% of Blackberry Make Up Alley reviewers would buy the shadow again http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=19409/Blackberry_Eyeshadow/MAC/Eye_Shadow  .
It looks such a gorgeous colour in the pan and it is basic colour wheel theory, that purple will be a great compliment for my green eyes. What is more, even I can see on my complexion that this shade of purple does not make me look bruised.
I think that I'm going to try my Blackberry/Shale combo again and rate it for what it is and not in comparison to something else. Lately I have been sticking to the same old contour colours (Sable, Barry M Dazzledust in Pale Tan and Satin Taupe). It is time to shake things up a bit.
I read somewhere that contrasting these matte shadows with shimmer ones can create good results. I may try it Blackberry with All That Glitters, a veluxe pearl, as well as Shale.
And while All That Glitters is out, I may combine it with another swap contender, Embark. Another darker contour type colour from my first haul which has not overwhelmed me. I think I originally brought this to combine with one of my faves, Modellette but now often use Satin Taupe or Sable instead. However again, Embark is a popular choice for others so one that I am reluctant to swap before I have a little play.
As you can tell, I'm really enjoying the reviews on Make Up Alley at the moment. I would recommend everybody has a look before a shopping trip. You can get a good idea of products and I think maybe you can find products that will work in the long term for you rather then just the latest fad shadow or lippie overwhelming You Tube etc.
I have also discovered Mac MakeUp. net and I think this would be a brilliant site for any real MAC obsessives to hop over to. There is a very useful index detailing lots of combinations of MAC shadows that work well together and all of the MAC face charts are available to purchase. Check it out here, http://www.macmakeup.net.
So what do you think of Blackberry and Embark? Do they really deserve to be evicted from my not so little collection or do you know how I can work them? Please, please let me know. Also any other comments or product suggestions are more then welcome as is your support. Don't forget, there will be some sort of competition/giveaway when I get 50 followers!!
There may be a video soon too as I've nearly reached 100 posts on WordPress but as usual, I am having trouble uploading and now, I'm starting to go off the idea so we will see :)
Update: As you can see I've tried the Blackberry/Shale combo again. It is okish, enough to keep Blackberry but I'm not that excited about it. I don't think either colour is particularly striking on my eyes and it is difficult to see where one ends and the other begins and believe me, I walked all around the house trying to find a flattering light. Blackberry was very hard to build even in the swatch and I think the shimmery moisturiser I had on underneath actually helped this matte shadow out a little, added a bit more interest. On the plus side, there is a little colour added to my eyes with the Blackberry/Shale combo although I would have preferred a more purple contour but then at least, I do not look like a clown. You've done just enough to be redeemed, Blackberry, but little more!!!

X

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...